Our client, one of the highest grossing international law firms in the world, is seeking a International Assignment Services Specialist.
This position will assist the Global Manager of Immigration & Visiting Attorney Programs (“Global Manager”) with the administration and review of the Firm’s expatriate, short- and medium-term assignment and global business travelers programs, in addition to assisting with international compensation administration.
Global Mobility Services:
• Liaise with host office and/or regional HR Managers to determine appropriate international assignment structures and terms for incomings, new hires and transfers.
• Generate and review assignment documentation in consultation with the “Global Manager” and Firm Tax Department.
• Provide ongoing support to employees on assignment.
• Escalate mobility issues or challenges as they arise to management.
• Coordinate visa applications for cross-border movement.
• Review secondment structures/terms, in coordination with Client Administration and Attorney Development, for cross-border employee secondments to a client.
• Review assignment structures for summer associates working overseas (including payroll, tax and immigration).
• Liaise with host offices on immigration/visa matters and with the tax department on payroll coordination.
• Monitor ongoing business traveler visa applications and expiration dates.
• Administer the Firm’s expatriate packages.
• Support periodic program reviews and allowance assessments.
• Assist legal hiring with questions about offers to expatriate candidates.
• Other functions as needed.
• Support Attorney Development with local pay scales and bonus schedules and ad hoc requests relating to international personnel temporarily assigned to an office in the U.S.
• Liaise with international offices on behalf of the Human Resources Department on annual salary reviews and bonus determinations for support staff and legal assistants. Facilitate review by HR Director.
• Conduct ad hoc salary reviews by position/market as needed.
• Budget responsibility for expatriate program, local attorney pay scales and local attorney bonuses.
• Partner with the local offices, Firm Tax and Payroll departments in New York to manage allowances and withholdings for international personnel who are on the US payroll; provide Firm Tax and Payroll departments with compensation details for US taxpayers whose pay is administered on an international payroll (needed for US reporting purposes).
• Coordinates US tax exemptions for US visa holders with payroll department
• Provides Directors and select personnel on a need-to-know basis with compensation information relating to employees on local payrolls.
• Performs other functions as required.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Minimum of five years’ related global mobility and international assignment services experience
• Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
• Strong working knowledge of MS Excel and Word with the ability to create and execute complex functions in Excel (pivot tables, vlookups, macros, etc.)
• Financial acumen
• Basic understanding of tax and compliance issues
• Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
• Demonstrates close attention to detail
• Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
• Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
• Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to organize and prioritize work
• Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
• Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
• Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
• Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs