A top law firm is seeing an Accounting Manager to report to the Controller, develops an effective approach
and organization for performing and managing the functions of: General Ledger, Accounts Payable,
Client Receipts, Client Trust Accounts, Reconciliations, Payroll, Treasury and Fixed Assets. Capable of
hands-on execution of duties related to these functions. The Accounting Manager oversees staff within the
functional areas, provides overall supervision, coaching, performance management.
Will Work closely with Controller, Director of Finance, and Firm Management
and interacts with partners, associates, and administrative staff.
• Oversees and manages the day-to-day Accounts Payable, Client Receipts and Client Trust
transactions, ensuring timely and accurate processing of deposits, checks and receipts
• Reviews and approves client trust account transactions and ensures compliance with
procedures and State Bar Association rules.
• Prepares, reviews, and assists with monthly reconciliations of bank and balance sheet
• Generates and distributes periodic statistical and financial reports to accounting and firm
management. Ensures timely and accurate reporting of daily cash position.
• Manages and supervises staff members to ensure accounting procedures, policies, and internal
controls are maintained and followed.
• Coordinates the annual compilation of financial statements and audit by outside accountants.
• Accountable for the completion of periodic partner draw payments and distributions.
Addresses related inquiries by partners.
• Processes Semi-Monthly staff payroll. Works closely with HR and Benefits in order to
maintain accurate payroll records.
• Regularly interacts with bank representatives regarding banking transactions and online
• Prepares and reviews various general ledger monthly journals, reviews coding of expenses and
recommends appropriate corrections.
• Keeps accounting management apprised of pertinent issues and seeks guidance when
• Initiates and/or manages projects that involve operational effectiveness/efficiency within the
• Implements best practices, and ensure proper documentation and training is provided for new
policies and procedures.
• Provides informal and formal evaluation and feedback to staff, including preparation of annual
• Performs a variety of administrative duties as required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance required. CPA or Master’s degree a plus.
• Five plus years work related experience.
• Minimum two years in a supervisory/managerial role within a law firm or professional
• Extensive experience with financial software applications and database environments utilized
within a law firm or professional services environment.
• One year prior hands-on experience with payroll processing.
Skills and Abilities: Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional
attention to detail. Must have the ability to communicate effectively with senior management,
attorneys, peers and subordinates; ability to act with a high degree of integrity, autonomy and
confidentiality; ability to work effectively with others; and the ability to act in a fair, equitable and
professional manner at all times. Ability to work under pressure with interruptions and tight
deadlines. Ability to use independent judgment, problem solve and answer questions.
Technological Skills: Proficiency with MS Office suite (including Excel, Word, etc.) required.
Experience with Elite or Aderant Practice Management Systems, or other SQL based accounting
software required. Experience with payroll processing software such as ADP (Workforce Now)