Administrative Assistant (Intellectual Property)
The Administrative Assistant provides general administrative support, including handling secretarial duties for attorneys and other timekeepers within the Intellectual Property Section. The Administrative Assistant will perform a wide variety of administrative tasks, which includes providing a high level of customer service, while consistently producing an excellent work product. He/she must be able to anticipate, plan and proactively meet the business needs of the attorneys and other assignments while maintaining a general knowledge of the assigned timekeeper’s practice area(s) and clients in order to ensure extraordinary client satisfaction. This person in this position will work closely with the Office Administrator to ensure that all communication is responded to accurately and in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Read, sort and distribute incoming mail electronically; prepare materials for mailing, including envelopes, labels and various forms.
• Scan legal documents to firm’s electronic document management system in accordance with established procedures.
• Prepare routine correspondence, documents, reports and/or other related items.
• Responsible for proofreading document(s) for accuracy and completeness.
• Receive and act upon client instructions, including confirmations, acknowledging receipt of instructions, etc.
• Coordinate travel arrangements through firm’s travel agency.
• Create and maintain a desk reference guide for procedures, outstanding and unusual client/attorney requests, and special instructions relating to duties for easy access by others to support assigned attorneys or others as assigned.
• Schedule and maintain calendars for attorneys or others as assigned calendars, where appropriate; and maintain attorney-client contact information and other pertinent information in the firm’s client contact database program.
• Input and edit attorney time entries, and confirm appropriate client and matter association.
• Input attorney and others expense reports.
• Responsible for client billing (paper and electronic billing); review billing for accuracy and completeness; perform client and timekeeper inquiries and narrative edits as needed.
• Process invoices for vendors and foreign counsel.
• Responsible for opening new matters accurately and consistently.
• Ability to search various websites in order to locate information to provide documentation to clients or others.
• Provide backup support to other team members to assist in meeting the goals of the office and/or others in the IP Section.
• Assist with file transfers, including incoming and/or outgoing.
• Schedule use of conference rooms.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Must be proficient in the Japanese language (read, write and speak).
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
• Possess strong oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with attorneys.
• Ability to read and comprehend materials involving legal and technical matters.
• Ability to work well independently and with others to accomplish goals.
• Ability to compose, proofread and edit (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) routine memorandums and correspondence, including emails.
• Identify and respond to internal and external client inquiries in a timely manner and seek feedback/follow-up as appropriate.
• Willingness to seek out and accept new responsibilities; including development opportunities to enhance skills.
• Take ownership of assigned work responsibilities through completion.
• Demonstrate a keen sensitivity to urgent attorney requests and strong organizational skills.
• Possess a strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality in maintaining firm and client information.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
• Minimum one (1) year of experience in a law firm environment and three (3) years as an administrative assistant;
• Prior experience with Intellectual Property patent and trademark prosecution matters helpful;
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite; and
• Flexibility to work additional hours as necessary.