One of the world’s leading law firms is seeking an Associate Managing Attorney for the NY office. Will provide legal expertise and guidance to attorneys on litigation docketing, court rules and procedures as they relate to court functions and calendaring. Responsible for legal analysis with to complex procedural issues, review filings for form and procedural content, advise Litigation Departments on court rules, civil procedure, filing, and deadline calculation. The Associate Managing Attorney will work with the Associate Managing Clerks to review, approve, serve and transmit filings.
Primary Responsibilities and/or Essential functions:
• Provide direction to and collaborate with other members of the Managing Attorney’s Office to maintain litigation docket and calendar.
• Work closely with the Managing Attorney to coordinate firm-wide calendaring and notification functions.
• Ensure compliance and record all incoming and outgoing documents in docket database and record procedural due dates.
• Responsible for electronic filing protocols in assigned courts. Familiarity with all filing rules, procedures and judge’s individual practices. File legal documents with all courts.
• Keep current on industry standards and determine if procedures need to be updated. Read NYLJ, E-Law, and New York Case Tracking databases for activity in firm litigations. Access court websites.
• Manage all case-specific information in responsible jurisdictions.
• Monitor case progress in assigned courts, obtain decisions and orders, obtain docket updates and communicate case status change to responsible attorney.
• Respond to all attorney procedural inquiries, liaise with court personnel.
• Provide guidance and coordination of work projects with other members of the Managing Clerk’s Office. (Docket audit, outstanding motion lists, appeals list, business development list).
• Perform court research at direction of attorneys.
• Assist the Managing Attorney in with managing vendor relationships necessary for cost-effective performance in this area.
• Assist the Managing Attorney in developing firmwide training programs on effective docketing and notification skills as well as mentoring and training Litigation attorneys and paralegals.
• Use research platforms to provide attorneys with high level research with respect to procedural and strategic issues.
• Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Proficient in searching and retrieving information from court-related databases (e.g. Courtlink, PACER, eLaw, CourtAlert) and other on-line sources of case information.
• Possess excellent customer service, communication and organizational skills.
• Working knowledge of Compulaw or equivalent highly preferable.
• Westlaw, Lexis Nexis, and other research platforms.
• Law firm or Law Clerk in State and/or Federal court experience is preferred.
• JD and 5+ (preferably 7) years of relevant experience in a large law firm or judicial setting equivalent.