An international law firm offering advice in litigation, transactional and regulatory matters spanning virtually every area of law is seeking a Billing Specialist for the NY office.
The Billling Specialist will assist attorneys in preparation of bills to clients and performs follow up action on past due client accounts. He/she provides administrative and accounting support to attorneys and Accounting department staff. The Billing Specialist answers billing questions and researches billing related issues, prepares and distributes billing proformas, invoices and billing related reports. He/she manages client accounts according to the billing agreements and performs necessary maintenance and manages past due accounts and performs necessary follow up action. The Billing Specialist acts as a billing advisor to attorneys and ensures that all transactions are recorded according to accounting standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform daily activities of the billing function in support of Partners and Clients. This includes but is not limited to Proforma generation and edits, creating timecard summaries, updating matter and Timekeeper rates and running client reports at the request of the Partners and Attorneys.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and acceptance of invoices on a monthly basis. Show tenacity and drive in following up with Billing Partners and others in order to resolve client billing issues and ensure invoices are approved and billed.
- Understand and ensure correct implementation of client Outside Counsel Guidelines.
- Ensure electronic invoices (EDI) are processed accurately and efficiently.
- Must be highly detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates professional and highly-developed communication skills. Ability to deal professionally and courteously with attorneys, staff, vendors, and clients of the Firm while observing confidentiality of client and firm matters.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or two years of related experience in an accounting department
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
- Understanding of general accounting principals as they apply to Billings and A/R
- Excellent math aptitude
- Previous law firm experience
- Implementation of, or exposure to various client billing agreements
- Experience with electronic billing and electronic billing vendors
- Knowledge of Elite, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Office
Other Skills and Abilities:
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the job
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Proofreads accurately Able to act in an advisory capacity to attorneys on billing matters
- Customer service oriented with a focus on providing excellent and professional billing assistance to our partners and clients.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others within the billing team, finance team and other firm groups and departments.