Our client is currently looking for a Director of Human Resources.
The HR team is currently responsible for the management of all human resource activities. This includes recruitment, induction, compensation and benefits, global mobility, HR policy, learning and development, performance management, talent management, diversity and employee engagement.
The successful candidate will focus on the delivery of change management, process improvement, and development and implementation of the people strategy which supports the partnership in maintaining its competitive advantage. S/he will report functionally to the Global HR Director (based in London) and regionally to the Chief Operating Officer.
The appointee will work closely with the Global HR Director, the Regional COO, and other Regional HR heads to deliver the global people strategy, and with the Centers of Expertise and the Global Service Centre to ensure that the right balance is struck between the implementation of global services and necessary regional variations. S/he will take responsibility for effecting change in the region, working closely with the Regional COO, the Regional Managing Partner, HR Partners and the Global HR Director.
S/he will lead, motivate, manage and develop the local HR team in New York and work closely with the global HR team to develop and deliver a world class HR service to partners, fee-earners and business services staff. S/he will have access to functional expertise through the central specialist teams such as Compensation and Benefits, Learning and Development and Diversity. S/he will be responsible for implementing progressive change to increase process efficiency and keep up to date with market trends in HR. The Director of Human Resources in the US will consult and advise senior management and partners on employee relations, employment law, and all human resource matters. S/he will focus and build relationships and establish trust and confidence on all levels of the firm.
Key responsibilities and deliverables
• Provide strategic HR support and advice to local partners, associates and Business Services.
• Drive people and organizational initiatives that contribute actively to a ‘one firm’ approach.
• Develop ways to reinforce important elements of our culture with a view to continually striving to improve behaviors, encourage respect, modernizing the way we work and further supporting agile working practices.
• Provide leadership and mentoring to the team of HR professionals in the US, take the necessary action to ensure the function is an effective and respected business partner.
• Take responsibility for the attraction, retention and development of our teams, both fee earners and Business Services.
• Encourage and contribute to employee engagement.
• Build relationships with HR contacts in the rest of the network and contribute to global HR projects.
• Facilitate the implementation of the firm’s approach to diversity both in its hiring of new staff and also in the retention and development of existing staff.
• Ensure effective HR administration.
• Develop and manage the HR budget for the US.
• Maintain and manage compensation, recruitment and performance appraisal programs for fee earners and business services staff.
• Oversee and maintain on-boarding program and orientation for all new hires.
• Oversee US benefit program offerings; act as member of benefits committee and 401k committee.
• Manage employee relations for US attorneys and business services staff.
• Develop, implement and manage Human Resources policies and procedures; maintain communication of policies.
• Create and devise recruiting strategies and initiatives for US support staff; maintain US Careers site, LinkedIn profiling, and external/ internal sourcing of candidates.
• Oversee the US secondment program and immigration matters with the HR Business Partner.
• Responsible for creation and updating of the US HR business plan; align with global HR objectives.
• Direct HR staff: generalists, recruiting, payroll, benefits, HRIS and contract staff.
• Manage the career and professional development of staff; coordinate and plan training.
• Ensure compliance with Federal and State regulations.
• Member of the Global HR Leadership team; communicate plans to regional team.
• Work with key stakeholders on global initiatives for US offices.
• Regional lead for engagement survey results and create action plans post results.
• Assist in reporting on US Associate utilization.
• Manage Employee Assistance Program.
• Conduct exit meetings for associates; collate and report information.
• Oversee all HR programs and events.
• Key team member in emergency preparedness and disaster recovery initiatives and incidents.
• Plan and implement change management projects.
• Supervise US staffing manager.
Key experience and attributes
• 7 to 10+ years of HR / business experience with significant expertise in delivering world class HR services.
• Masters Degree in a related field or SPHR certification
• Relevant experience in a professional services or financial services environment is the natural fit, but the firm will equally consider candidates from other areas providing they can demonstrate an understanding of and aptitude for a partnership environment.
• Strong work ethic: a high energy, highly motivated, team worker.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines with a flexible and professional approach.
• Sets standards of performance, appraises, evaluates and feeds back effectively, imparting difficult messages courageously and frankly, whilst respecting the collegiate nature of a legal partnership.
• A doer — able to immerse him or herself in this front line management role – not just a talker or delegator.
• An international perspective and a good understanding of the various cultural differences that exist.
• Strong people management skills, able effectively to lead and manage staff and develop relationships with partners to develop a culture of coaching, mentoring and enablement.
• Able to manage a large workload but work to improve processes and streamline to improve efficiency.
• Good at setting priorities and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Able to build relationships outside of the region within an international environment.
• Willingness to travel.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to listen, clarify and share information easily.
• The ability to build strong working relationships and to be able to persuade and influence a range of people at all levels and across cultural and global boundaries.
• The ability to lead in an environment with a focus on continuous improvement.
• A diplomatic and adaptable team working style and works collaboratively with colleagues.
• Dedicated to meeting and exceeding expectations.
• Flexibility in approach and an ability to manage through change.
• Resilient and able to remain calm and positive under pressure and when dealing with ambiguity.
• Decisive and mature in judgement.
• Able to resolve complex problems taking a proactive approach to analyze the issues and generate solutions