One of the largest, and most global, law firms in the world is seeking a Latin America Business Development Specialist to learn the unique approach that a truly international firm utilizes in its approach to business development and marketing. The U.S. team works cooperatively with our colleagues across 44 offices in 31 countries as one integrated team.
The Latin America (LatAm) Business Development Specialist provides day-to-day business development support for the LatAm practice as well as the São Paulo office in Brazil. The LatAm Business Development Specialist works with business development teams around the globe to help support these groups worldwide. This includes, but is not limited to management of “friendly-firm” relationships, Latin America referrals, LatAm client relationships, LatAm proposal content as well as deal list development, market research, marketing collateral creation and legal directory submissions.
This position formally reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer of the Americas and works closely with other members of the U.S. business development team and members of the global community. This role is also an important part of our Global Experts and Markets (GEM) group. GEM is our industry leading global program which develops and manages relationships with over one hundred friendly firms world-wide.
This role works extremely closely with the key LatAm practice partners in São Paulo, New York and Washington, D.C. in a collaborative and creative way to drive the LatAm business forward.
• “Friendly-Firm” Relationship Management: Maintaining relationships with friendly-firms through-out the LatAm region and tracking referrals, to and from the firm.
• Client Relationship Management: Utilizing CRM methodology to manage relationships of several significant LatAm-based clients.
• Sponsorships: Coordinating LatAm sponsorships of conferences (e.g., targeting speaker opportunities, coordinating materials and speakers, conducting event follow-up, etc.)
• Pitches, Proposals and Credentials: Working directly with the attorneys to draft/edit competitive proposals, credentials, pitches and presentations both locally and internationally.
• Deal Lists: Maintaining an up-to-date “master” list of transactions/matters and ensuring that information about these deals is appropriately disseminated to other internal groups and to externally managed
databases and league tables.
• Market Research: Conducting market research on existing and prospective clients and market issues which may impact clients’ businesses and providing advice on effective marketing strategies to address these
• Directories: Managing the submission process for the major legal directories for the LatAm practice.
• Client Events: Planning and running LatAm client events and seminars (e.g., choosing or helping to identify appropriate venues, compiling invitee lists, design of invite, managing budgets, etc.).
• Profile/PR: Developing relationships with major LatAm legal press to maintain effective press coverage on major deals and market developments.
• Marketing discussion & review: Arranging meetings with the practice group to review progress on marketing projects and key client targeting; ensuring relevant information from these meetings is circulated to
other relevant internal groups.
• Cross-practice & cross-office integration: Using an understanding of the firm’s international partner and business development network (and the varied range of working practices/styles) to coordinate
existing projects and develop new opportunities. Sharing ideas with colleagues in order to enhance quality and efficiency of work and developing best practices for the practice groups and the business
development team as a whole.
• Marketing processes management: Developing and maintaining effective marketing processes for assigned groups (e.g., up-to-date CVs of attorneys in assigned groups, fresh content for the external website, and
social media etc).
• Multilingual capability – reading and writing fluency in Spanish is a must, fluency in both Spanish and Portuguese is a plus.
• Culturally astute with a strong ability to work effectively with colleagues from other countries on cross-border activities.
• Minimum of three Years of professional services experience working in a high-profile, fast-paced environment.
• Experience in, and ability to deliver at, a complex organization (e.g. significant law firm or large professional services environment).
• A tenacious, proactive approach to achieving results and a demonstrable track record of helping to successfully grow a practice group.
• A self-starter with the ability prioritize, multi-task and drive forward multiple projects, using limited partner availability in the most effective way.
• A strong team player, with experience developing successful working relationships with other business development team members.
• Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
• Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills—with partners, associates, and business development colleagues.
• Willingness and enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of markets in which your practice areas operate.
• High attention to detail and strong client focus.
• Bachelor’s degree required.