One of the leading law firms in the world is seeking to fill a Manager role in their Diversity and Inclusion Department, a Women’s Initiatives Manager. This position would report directly to the Talent Pipeline & Inclusion Director and have a dotted line relationship to the Talent Development & Strategy Director.
The Women’s Initiatives Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring initiatives that support firm-wide gender diversity and inclusion objectives. The individual in this role will liaise with women’s initiatives and diversity committees; affinity networks; and administrative departments, including attorney development and training, attorney recruiting, alumni relations and marketing and communications.
- Elevates and executes on the full range of D&I objectives with respect to gender diversity. Provides thought leadership and support to global D&I leadership, including the women’s initiatives committee and to women’s networks;
- Collaborates with appropriate administrative leads to tie in professional development, pipeline diversity, engagement, recruiting and marketing and communications; and ensures follow-up on derivative projects.
- Stays abreast of local and global trends and innovations in gender diversity and professional development, and where appropriate, recommends and implements programs and policies to advance the firm’s goals in this area.
- Analyzes and monitors firm diversity metrics and legal industry benchmarks; and generates internal reports and presentations.
- Generates internal and external communications about the firm’s D&I initiatives, e.g., firm newsletters, client and industry survey responses, law student outreach, etc.
- Sustains strategic relationships with key industry organizations and coordinates the firm’s participation in appropriate programs and conferences.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Effectively utilizes the firm’s performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees’ work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Human Resources Department.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Oversees and ensures proper maintenance and day-to-day operation of all department functions.
- Coordinates and oversees department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Manages firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm’s Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for assigned department(s).
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER JOB-RELATED COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of firm operation, policies and procedures
- Proficient in the relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge and implementation of the annual budget process
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to administer firm policies and procedures
- Personally handles more complex issues/duties requiring independent exercise of discretion and judgment
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, maturity, and sound judgment to sustain credibility and trust
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to be a self-starter, and an understanding of how to accomplish results in a consensus-driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan, conceptualize, deliver and sustain multi-faceted projects and tasks
- Desire and ability to work in an intellectually stimulating and team-oriented culture
- Demonstrated strong work ethic, ability to be a quick study in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; graduate degree preferred
- Minimum of six years of related experience in a professional development and strategic operations function, preferably in a legal or other professional services organization, and current in knowledge about diversity and inclusion best practices