Director of Benefits
Director of Benefits
$165000 - $190000
Responsible for the administration of employee benefits in all Firm operations.
This position develops, recommends, and installs approved, new, and modified plans and employee benefits policies and supervises the administration of existing plans. In addition, s/he will develop cost control procedures to assure maximum coverage at the least possible cost to the Firm and employee.
Leadership/Strategic Management: Establishes effective working relationships and encourages teamwork.
Maintains active lines of communication and builds consensus within and between departments to share knowledge and support collaborative efforts, organizational change, and goal achievement.
Manages change within a fast-paced, dynamic and progressive organization while maintaining a commitment to the Firm’s vision, spirit, and culture.
Process Management: Interprets and communicates benefit policies and Firm procedures.
Maintains knowledge of internal systems and serves as a resource for employees.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manage and assist with the day-to-day administration of group benefit programs (medical, dental, vision, short-term and long disability, worker’s compensation, life insurance, flexible spending plan, commuter benefits, 401(k) plan and profit sharing plan).
2. Serve as a primary contact for brokers, advisors, insurers, and plan vendors.
3. Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations.
4. Assist in negotiating premiums and managing the benefit plan renewal process. Design, recommend, and implement benefits programs during annual open enrollment.
5. Develop communication tools to enhance understanding of the Firm’s benefits package which include updating the benefits-related information for open enrollment, benefits orientation,
summary plan descriptions, employee handbook, HRIS, and Intranet.
6. Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefit processes.
7. Manage benefit plan setup and applicable deductions in HRIS. Audit and balance of benefit payroll deductions.
8. Oversee maintenance of employee benefits files and recordkeeping.
9. Review and approve monthly invoices for all group plans.
10. Review and approve semi-monthly benefit wire requests for FSA/Commuter plans.
11. Manage and approve ACA 1095-C and 1094-C forms
12. File annual notices required by law (such as Medicare D, CMS, and PCORI fees).
13. Prepare data for Health Plan NDT (medical plans and Dependent Care FSA).
14. Gather data and review Schedule A information for the preparation of H&W Form 5500s. Review and approve H&W Form 5500 drafts.
15. Management of wellness program.
16. Manage and assist with the administration of STD, FMLA, NY PFL and Worker's Compensation.
17. Prepare, collect, and organize data for retirement plan audits, and actuarial and recordkeeper information for NDT, 401(k) match, and profit-sharing plan calculations.
18. Audit retirement plan eligibility, HRIS/recordkeeper integration files, and recordkeeper reports.
19. Review retirement Form 5500s and Financial Statements.
20. Review, implement, and adhere to retirement plan updates, amendments, and plan documents.
21. Schedule quarterly investment meetings and educational meetings for retirement plans.
22. Assist with maintenance of HRIS changes and upgrades.
BA or BS degree required
PHR and CEBS professional designations preferred
Law Firm or Professional Services industry required
Strong, proven leadership skills. Direct supervisory experience of a team and strong team-building skills are required.
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with maximum discretion.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing, and compliance requirements both
adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, ACA, COBRA, FMLA,
ADA, SECTION 125, Worker’s Compensation, Medicare, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
Knowledge of benefit contract language.
Strong analytical skills and thorough knowledge of plan designs.
Superior organizational skills with attention to detail.
Comfortable interacting with employees at all levels.
Ability to prioritize workload and multitask.
Experience working with ADP software (preferably Workforce Now).
Advanced computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize Microsoft Office
(Word, Excel, and knowledge of PowerPoint).
Working knowledge of Document Management Software.