Health & Welfare Benefits Generalist
Health & Welfare Benefits Generalist
$70000 - $80000
This position supports the Health & Welfare Benefits Manager – Operations by assisting with all of the administrative operations of the benefits program. This role will provide the operational support functions to effectively service and properly perform the day-to-day administrative operations of the Firm's various U.S. health and welfare benefits plans and programs for employees and COBRA participants. The ideal candidate will have strong customer service skills as this role will serve as a resource to all employees and COBRA participants who have questions about any and all firm benefits and to process all benefit requests in a timely and accurate manner. The Health & Welfare Benefits Generalist will also assist the department with a variety of responsibilities relating to specific benefits projects to ensure the services, goals, and objectives of the department are being met. This role will be responsible for providing high quality and on-time delivery of benefit administration services with optimal customer service.
- Ensures data privacy, security and integrity of all benefits related information.
- Performs the enrollment process (e.g., new hires/adds/status changes/terms) for the benefits program and ensures that the benefits data and information is collected and managed in the firm’s Human Resources Information Systems and relevant spreadsheets.
- Performing entry of benefits information into the Human Resources Information System, various excel tracking spreadsheets, and systems requiring a high level of accuracy.
- Performs all facets of COBRA administration (e.g. billing, enrollments, and production of communications).
- Processes qualified status changes.
- Processes payroll adjustments.
- Processes and verifies carrier premium invoice reports and wire requests.
- Conducts various auditing functions to ensure data accuracy and integrity.
- Communicating with insurance carriers of enrollments/changes/terminations and confirming updates were conducted correctly.
- Proactively reaching out to employees and COBRA participants regarding required documentation, incomplete forms and informs them of approvals, denials, or requests for additional information.
- Primary point of contact to answer inquiries regarding the benefits plans (e.g., eligibility, forms, customer service number, general plan questions). Educates participants by providing clear and complete information.
- Acts as a liaison between the employees and various insurance carriers for all levels of benefit questions and requests. Thoroughly research escalated issues and clearly communicates back to the individual.
- Assists with the Firm's annual open enrollment process as directed by departmental management.
- Responsible to conduct employee new hire orientations
- Recommends methods of improved procedures for health and welfare benefits processing.
- Monitors departmental hotline voicemail and e-mail box to respond to health & welfare benefit-related questions.
- Maintains the employee and COBRA participants records in the electronic records management system; electronically filing all relevant information (e.g., applications, trusts, emails), within their records and performing audits of the files as needed.
- Back-up support for other team members for all of the Partner's and retiree's health and welfare benefits program administration functions.
- Creates, edits and maintains appropriate procedure documentation for all tasks related to the benefits program.
- Responsible for the opening of all departmental mail and associated processing of the contents.
- Providing assistance with various projects, assignments, and goals of the Benefits Department as different priorities and needs arise.
- Assists in department mailing and filing projects (paper and electronic).
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Strong knowledge of health and welfare benefits administrative procedures and applicable laws
- Strong math/analytical aptitude
- Strong computer skills; proficiency in MS Excel (proficient knowledge of formulas and functions; ability to perform VLOOKUP preferred)
- Ability to read, interpret and follow instructions
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and take direction from senior departmental staff
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to deal courteously/effectively with others
- Bachelor's or Associate's degree with a minimum of 3 years of current health and welfare benefits administration related experience
- 1+ years of experience working in a benefits capacity using Workday required