Human Resources Manager, Attorneys
Human Resources Manager, Attorneys
New York, NY
$160000 - $177000
- Proactively works with practice leaders to align HR programs and initiatives in support of business plans and objectives.
- Establishes the approach for all HR activity in the New York office for lawyers, through coordination with centralized and shared HR services teams.
- Monitors state labor and employment legislation, develops solutions / procedures and ensures compliance with all federal and state laws
- Maintains knowledge of legal industry trends among peer firms and initiates updates to policies and programs
- Proactively identifies process improvements and enhancements
- Participates in the development and support of the performance management process.
- Provides guidance to partners in the techniques for writing and presenting meaningful feedback.
- Manages development of templates to support array of attorney HR transactions
- Maintains Attorney Administrative Manual policies and procedures
- Works with the U.S. Attorney Student Recruitment team to oversee the management of the Summer Associate program in New York, including orientation, work assignments, evaluations, events, mentors, training, promotion of diversity initiatives, oversight of NY summer program budget and offer process in coordination with program leaders.
- Coordinates with NY office Hiring Partners and hiring committee to develop hiring goals, recruitment strategies for the NY office
- Works collaboratively with National Student Recruitment team to coordinate national OCI program, applicants for multiple offices, website, promotional materials, gifts, etc.
- Manages the on-campus recruitment program including on-campus interviews, call back interviews, events, etc.; travel to law school events as needed
- Facilities NY office hiring committee meetings
- Serves as expert working closely with labor and employment counsel and HR teams to review and troubleshoot non-standard attorney HR matters relating to:
- Leaves of absence for medical, parental, maternity, bereavement, compassionate care, personal, military, etc.
- Payroll issues and compensation policy questions
- Secondments to offices outside the US or clients
- Partner transitions and retirements
- Annual review and extensions of senior counsel and independent contractors
- Remote work arrangements in the US and outside the US
- Provide guidance with performance management / improvement plans
- Manage immigration issues for attorneys who are visa holders, working with Global Mobility lawyers
- Ensure onboarding process and messaging is up to date and covers key programs and policies
- Respond to inquiries regarding general policies, procedures and firm programs
- Partner with Legal Risk Management lawyer to ensure the bar license status complies with firm and state requirements.
- Manages sensitive attorney Employee Relations and other complex situations that have been escalated, coordinating with Employment Counsel as appropriate
- Utilizes data to support leaders in making people-related decisions
- Uses Peoplesoft to look up and report on attorney data, including headcount, attrition, new hires, diversity demographics, etc.
- Works with Employment Counsel on any necessary legal review exercise
- Creates two-way feedback channels and provides insights on needs of US offices to inform HR on approaches and offerings.
- Other duties as assigned or required to meet Firm goals and objectives