Legal Secretary/Executive Assistants
Legal Secretary/Executive Assistants
$75000 - $95000
The Executive Assistant's role is to provide full and diversified administrative support of a responsible nature to assigned firm personnel, including assigned Partners, Associates in section and practice group, and other key management personnel (i.e. supervisor(s)), utilizing broad and comprehensive experience, skills and knowledge in organizational policies, procedures and practices. The Executive Assistant performs the most complex administrative, legal secretarial activities which may be highly confidential and sensitive. The Executive Assistant also serves as a facilitator who may coordinate deadlines, analyze information, follow up on or request information from others to communicate supervisors' instructions or to satisfy ongoing needs of supervisor(s), assist with project coordination and completion, and assist and relieve attorneys and other legal personnel of administrative and clerical work by performing essential duties and responsibilities which include the following:
Essential Job Requirements:
- General legal secretarial duties, including but not limited to, answering telephones for attorneys as well as others in the section in a professional manner, taking messages and forwarding calls to appropriate parties; processing incoming/outgoing mail; knowledge of office equipment such as printers, facsimile machines, photocopying machines and pdf scanners; opening new client matter accounts (conflict checks, intakes, retainer letter and file opening); organizing and maintaining electronic and paper client files and keeping filing up-to-date; retrieving existing files through RIO and closing out and sending files off-site; entering attorneys' time; preparing travel arrangements for attorneys and for clients; providing coverage to other attorneys in section when assigned secretaries are out of office or when workflow requires/permits; learning/maintaining knowledge of attorneys' practice and client/matter history; relieving attorneys of administrative tasks.
- Draft complex correspondence and documents and anticipate attorneys' need for same.
- Manage attorneys' calendars.
- With attorneys' permission, manage attorneys' emails (review/delegate/file).
- High level involvement in the assigned Partners' billing process; prepare cost estimate reports for clients as requested; resolve more complex billing and accounts receivable issues with clients; assist with completion of internal accounting forms required by the Finance Department.
- Assist in projects and project management for attorneys and/or supervisor(s).
- Handle delegated sensitive and emergent emails and calls from clients, court personnel and other contacts of assigned attorneys and responsibility for follow-up; exercise judgment in responding to unique and urgent situations.
- Marketing-related responsibilities (which may include creating PowerPoint presentations, coordination and distribution of collateral materials for client seminars; coordinating/ assisting with marketing projects between supervisor(s), clients and the Marketing Department and event planning).
- Department-specific tasks such as maintenance of client trust accounts and other accounting-related tasks as required.
- Balance multiple priorities by considering risk, importance, urgency, political impacts and other linkage.
- Assist attorneys in managing their competing priorities by proactively assuming responsibility for items that can be delegated and rescheduling attorneys' commitments to be more effective.
- Anticipate what attorneys will want and follow up to ensure that they are completely satisfied.
- Encourage others to accept change and use it to derive organizational and personal benefit.
- Escalate unfamiliar issues rapidly and anticipate/resolve potential problems.
- Assist section or practice group in assuring timely completion of assigned projects as needed.
- Participate in firm training opportunities; participate in training of other employees and staff members in order to promote cross-training of all employees, assist colleagues in learning new skills/tasks in order to integrate them into the team.
- Seek out opportunities to continuously improve skill set at a more advanced level to broaden scope of role.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- A minimum of 8 years Senior Legal Secretary experience within a law firm
- Accurate typing skills of a minimum of 55 wpm, along with strong word processing skills utilizing Microsoft Word 2010, Outlook 2010, Excel, PowerPoint, docketing software and client relationship management software.
- Provide outstanding client service by possessing and utilizing excellent telephone and interpersonal skills with legal staff, peers and administrators, as well as the firm's clients and external contacts.
- Assist and advise more junior peers in handling of emergency or urgent calls and assignments from legal staff, the firm's clients or external contacts ( e.g., court personnel, prosecutors, etc.).
- Thorough knowledge of legal terminology and syntax, and of the content, organization, and format of legal documents and correspondence.
- Knowledge of various computer applications including use of internet legal research tools such as Lexis and Westlaw as may be required by the assistant's assigned attorneys.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain composure during stressful situations occurring as a result of workloads and/or deadlines, by resourcefulness, anticipating needs, prioritizing responsibilities, anticipating calendar conflicts and proactively managing schedule changes.
- Exhibit sound judgment to make decisions on sensitive issues, as well as ability to work with confidential documents and information.
- Demonstrate judgment in scheduling of attorneys' time.
- Serve as a role model to others in providing outstanding client service/support to attorneys and clients, volunteering to assist others, and supporting the firm's priorities.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Work independently on complex assignments, but able to work in a team environment as well.