Financial Reporting & Budgeting Manager
Financial Reporting & Budgeting Manager
New York, New York
$130000 - $165000
.• Lead the preparation, review, and distribution of the firm’s monthly modified cash basis financial reporting (e.g., Flash and Financial Overview).
Reporting includes: income statements, balance sheets, statements of cash flows, and other key performance metrics (Billable hours, headcount, attorney productivity, etc.).
Reporting contains relevant variance analysis to budget, forecast, and prior year activity.
• Manage the preparation, review, and distribution of legal department, practice group, and office reporting, while similar, the firm’s monthly reporting has a greater focus on key performance metrics. Reporting contains relevant variance analysis to budget, forecast, and prior year activity.
• Lead the preparation, review, and distribution of financial reporting to various chief officers. Reporting is tailored to the specific focus on the chief officer with different key performance metrics than legal and practice group leaders. Reporting contains relevant variance analysis to budget, forecast, and prior year activity.
• Manage the preparation and review of the modified cash basis annual operating and capital expenditure budget, including income statement, balance sheet, statement of cash flows, and other key performance metrics to support the revenue, expense and capital expenditures. Budgeting includes preparation for the chief officers, legal department heads and practice group leaders. This process includes multiple versions until approved by the CFO, COO, CEO, and Chairman with final budget approval by the Executive Committee and Board.
• Oversee the preparation of the firm’s quarterly forecasts identifying YTD and projected variances to the annual budget for revenue, expenses, and related key performance metrics. This process includes multiple versions until approved by the Director of Financial Reporting & Budgeting, CFO, COO, CEO, and Chairman with final budget approval by the Executive Committee and Board.
• Lead the preparation and review of various analyses with recommendations for solutions as questions and issues from firm management and other stakeholders as they relate to financial reporting and budgeting.
• Participate in the preparation of various surveys utilized in the legal industry.
• Assist with the preparation of the periodic financial presentations, working closely with the Director of Financial Reporting & Budgeting, CFO, COO, and other firm leaders.
• Collaborate in the reconciliation of various system-generated financial reports, ensuring consistency and accuracy of information. Where appropriate, assist in providing recommendations for enhancements to reporting and procedures to ensure the accuracy of financial information.
• Participate in the preparation of complex modeling in support of lateral partner hiring.
• Take part in the design of new reports as requested by firm management.
• Join in the setting of the firm’s annual billing rate process.
• Participate in the implementation of budget software to support the annual budget and forecast process.
• Assist with the implementation of reporting/database software to support monthly and periodic reporting.
• Participate with systems upgrades, leading selected work streams for testing and verification of financial information used in financial reporting.
• Prepare specialized reporting in support of annual partner promotions and compensation cycles.
• Perform complex calculations in support of essential duties and responsibilities.
• Train the Reporting & Budgeting team on the effective use of technology tools to accurately and efficiently complete their work.
• Prepare documentation and training materials for the successful onboarding and continued development of the Reporting & Budgeting team.
• Manage the day-to-day workload of the Reporting & Budgeting team to ensure timely delivery of deadlines, adapting when needed to shifting priorities.
• Complete special projects as requested and furnish related information and reports as needed. Supervisory Responsibilities
• Directly supervises and manages employees and is responsible for their overall direction, coordination, and evaluation. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Firm’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and making recommendations for hiring, promotion, compensation, and termination.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent, advanced degree preferred, and five or more years of progressive financial reporting/budgeting experience working within a law firm is required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Three or more years of supervisory experience is required.
• Computer proficient with extensive knowledge and understanding of Accounting systems (CMS/Aderant or Elite are required), Excel, Power Point, Outlook and MS Word. Experience and understanding of Iridium or other similar budgeting and reporting software.
• Outstanding analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with comprehensive knowledge of complex accounting principles and practices in order to conduct a detailed analysis of accounting operations, general ledger accounts, balance sheet and income statement activity and budget variations.
• Exhibit high degree of initiative and critical-thinking skills in exercising independent judgment and making decisions in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment.
• Ability to identify and analyze complex accounting/financial issues and problems and to recommend and implement solutions. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
• Managerial skills necessary in order to interact and communicate with subordinates, provide instruction/direction/training, determine work priorities, and coordinate the activities of the team.
• Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish concise, detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e-mail, or verbally.
• Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data, preparing various accounting reports, providing back-up assistance and support in performing all aspects of accounting operations and participating in preparation of the budget.
• Required to work towards deadlines; must be able to work more than 35 hours per week as needed.