Our client, A successful and dynamic boutique law firm is looking to hire a Controller. The Controller is responsible for maintaining a system of exceptional accounting records and day-to-day transactions involving Firm payables, receivables, general accounting, payroll, time and billing, financial reporting, and cash management. This position also plays an integral part in maintaining relationships with the Firm’s banks and their representatives. The Controller will conduct and document moderate to complex financial analysis, financial reporting and adhoc finance projects and will be involved in other special projects/initiatives related to the finance and accounting functions.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Controller is responsible for all of the following:
* Ensures accounting and Firm policies and procedures are followed. Assists with documenting internal accounting policies, controls and procedures.
* Oversees general accounting functions, including chart of accounts, general ledger, cash receipts, accounts receivable, expense reimbursements, cost recoveries, fixed assets, payroll, cash management and budgeting
* Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions and ensures that Accounting Department personnel are appropriately trained
* Work with billing manager and staff to ensure that all client bills (including e bills) are processed timely and in accordance with client guidelines
* Review payroll before submission to payroll provider. Act as a full back up to the payroll manager * Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual Firm financial statement audit
* Responsible for working with a team on the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements, financial reports, account reconciliations, analyses and surveys. Provide additional financial analyses to Firm Management as needed.
* Assist in the preparation of the Firm budget. Achieve budget objectives by analyzing variances and preparing reports that summarize information and trends. Calculate variances from the Firm budget and report significant issues.
* Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings (UBT, Sales Tax, Commercial Rent tax etc.).
* Act as backup to the Director of Finance.
* Assist the Director of Finance with reviewing new accounting software and the implementation of such software which will include a conversion of current Elite data.
* Assist the Director of Finance with accomplishing goals that are aligned with overall strategies of the Firm and Accounting department
* Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to translate business requirements into financial systems solutions. Proficient at managing and leading a team and/or function. Excellent client service and listening skills, with the ability to exercise sound, independent judgment. Strong organizational, analytical, project management and time management skills. Responsive team player with the ability to quickly prioritize numerous pressing tasks. Exhibit initiative and innovative thinking and drive best practices. Must be resourceful, detail oriented and proactive to the needs of the Firm with the ability to maintain information accurately and retain confidences.
* Education: Four year college degree in Accounting required.
* Experience and Financial Knowledge: Prior progressive accounting and finance experience of at least eight (8) years, preferably in a law firm. Requires strong knowledge of financial terms, concepts and accounting principles and the ability to comprehend and interpret complex financial transactions.
* Technological Skills: Proficiency with MS Suite software such as Outlook, Word and Excel. In depth knowledge of financial, budgeting and cost recovery applications such as Elite, Sage and Aderant.