A leading global law firm, is currently seeking a Head of Financial Services Business Development (“FS BD”) to join its Marketing and Business Development Department in New York.
This role offers the opportunity to lead the business development efforts for the firm’s Financial Services Industry of Focus (“FSI”). The FSI brings together lawyers from across the firm’s broad transactional, regulatory and disputes practices and platform to strategically drive the firm’s brand and client engagements within the financial services sector.
The Head of FS BD will work closely with the partner leadership team, FS lawyers across the firm, and colleagues on the Business Development team, to craft, coordinate and execute branding, thought leadership, and cross-collaborative strategies targeting investment and commercial banks, alternative capital providers, private equity firms, hedge funds and other private investment vehicles. The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in the firm’s comprehensive benefit program including health and wellness plan, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, profit sharing plan, discount programs, and a substantial Paid Time Off (PTO) program.
Candidates will have the following responsibilities:
• Identify, centrally coordinate and help execute strategic efforts to establish and grow the K&S brand among targeted client and prospect groups by: Leveraging sector knowledge and a deep understanding of the financial services practice capabilities across the firm to work with partner leaders to identify timely and relevant topics around which to build broad thought leadership and direct client outreach campaigns.
• Creating and executing a holistic plan to generate and distribute such content to key audiences and ensure appropriate follow-up outreach by team members.
• Researching and recommending new high-potential channels and targeting and segmentation strategies to promote the K&S financial services brand.
• Developing and updating marketing materials, including website content, brochures, lawyer biographies, at-a-glance documents, etc.
• Collaborating with the firm’s Events and Marketing teams to develop and deliver strategic events, including substantive symposia, networking receptions, client entertainment outings, etc.
• And Coordinating with the firm’s Public Relations team to identify notable matters and trends to position the firm and our FSI lawyers within top tier media outlets and leverage content via social media channels. Helping to identify trends and best practices in the market and among the firm’s peers in the sector.
• Coordinate FSI Partner meetings and facilitate internal operations, reporting and communication by: Compiling periodic reports on business development activity and results within the FSI.
• Coordinating the marketing budget: vet big-ticket requests and analyze marketing expenses and effectiveness thereof.
• Serving as the primary contact for FSI-related business development and marketing requests from lawyers, BD and Marketing Dept. colleagues and other areas of the firm. Manage and coordinate cross-practice new business initiatives targeting financial services clients by: Developing actionable plans for expansion of relationships with priority clients, including relationship mapping and contact management.
• Developing actionable approaches for aspirational clients.
• Tracking panel placements and approved list status at various clients; Coordinating pursuit teams and efforts related to cross-practice efforts to establish and grow business with targeted financial services clients.
• Following practice, industry, and regional trends to identify business opportunities relevant to growth initiatives.
A successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
• Successful candidates have excellent project management skills, are detail oriented, efficient and have the capacity to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, high volume environment. Candidates must have superior presentation, writing, and verbal communication skills.
• The ability to interact credibly and diplomatically with all levels in an organization and externally within the market – tailoring communications effectively for different groups and stakeholders. Candidates must be able to establish relationships, influence action and achieve results with seasoned partners.
• Have an impeccable industry reputation with established and exceptional business development credentials within a financial institution or at a top-tier law firm or professional services organization that specializes in the sector. Candidates should have well-developed Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, and have experience using website CMS platforms and Interaction or other CRM databases. Candidates are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or other related field; an MBA or JD is preferred.