An Am Law 50 law firm with 16 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Knowledge Management Manager in our New York or San Francisco office.
The Knowledge Management Manager identifies and works to implement firm approved knowledge management initiatives to improve knowledge sharing and collaboration. The KM Manager champions the development of innovative technologies and processes to help the Firm better serve its clients and create a competitive advantage.
Departmental Client Service and Leadership
- Be responsible for assessment of Firm KM needs, including development of a KM strategy and roadmap.
- Assess skills and talents across Research Services, Marketing Technology and Knowledge Management and align workflow and responsibilities.
- Lead and direct KM strategies and operations, including promoting knowledge sharing, strengthening links between knowledge sharing and IT, and improving the firm’s integration among information systems, and facilitating exchange of information across systems.
- Direct the KM team in identifying, evaluating and adopting best in class productivity tools to leverage the knowledge of the Firm and provide attorneys with opportunities to increase efficiency when serving clients. Lead collaborative initiatives that develop creative solutions and improve sharing of ideas and work among internal teams and external partners.
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation efforts for KM through the use of data analysis, external benchmarking and other appropriate tools and techniques.
- Champion KM within the Firm by promoting the benefits of the Firm’s KM initiatives and KM tools across practices and with key individuals.
Knowledge Management Strategic and Operational Management
- Establish best practices and implement new strategies for providing KM services to the Firm at a level commensurate with or superior to peer firms.
- Direct strategies to promote effective use of department services by making resources easily accessible and by providing training across offices and departments.
- Execute budget and cost containment strategies, contract negotiations, and vendor relations.
- Lead recruitment processes for Knowledge Management function to build the skill sets needed to execute on the strategy.
- Remain current in industry trends in KM, practice group resources, and the legal profession.
- Ensure expertise in technology relevant to the position; proactively use most current technology to further teamwork, client service, and efficiency.
- Ensure that staff is knowledgeable and trained on professional and technical matters. Provide supportive coaching; set achievable, challenging team goals; develop skills of team members to ensure achievement of client service priorities. Ensure team is structured effectively to meet client service objectives.
- Promote consistency and fairness; maintain open door policy and facilitate open dialog. Ensure Firm policies and practices are followed within team. Prepare timely, substantive, and strategically aligned performance evaluations. Identify and timely address employee relations and performance concerns within team; collaborate with Human Resources and management to support effective and appropriate resolution. Participate in recruiting for department, including drafting position descriptions.
- A. or B.S. required
- D., M.L.S or equivalent degree preferred.
- Strong understanding of knowledge management, trends in the industry as they pertain to law firms; demonstrated knowledge of the range of technologies available to effectively deliver information and knowledge services.
- Project management experience, carrying projects through the entire lifecycle, and process improvement experience essential.