An Am Law 50 law firm with 16 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Research Services Operations Manager within our Research Services Department in our San Francisco, Palo Alto, Denver, New York, or D.C. office.
The Research Services Operations Manager manages key Research Services operations functions, including access to and delivery of print and online research resources for all offices. The Manager is responsible for overseeing development of Research Services SharePoint portal, oversees administration of all aspects of library automation software (EOS) and resources monitoring software (Research Monitor), and provides firmwide guidance and coordination on collection development and management. The Research Services Operations Manager streamlines processes to create efficiencies in both research and operations functions, supervises Research Services Coordinators, and works closely with Research Services leadership and colleagues on the Research Services team on projects and strategy. The Manager also performs research on Firm matters and for business development purposes when necessary.
Content Development and Reporting
• Manage processes for evaluation, testing, and implementation, as well as access and delivery of research resources including product trials, passwords and licenses, monitoring usage, and overseeing IT issues
such as IP authentication.
• In concert with Research Services Manager, oversee maintenance and enhancement of attorney-facing SharePoint portal, including integration of external sources (e.g., Lexis or news aggregator content) and
development of practice-specific research pathfinders.
• Administer EOS, Research Monitor, and other library automation tools, including ensuring functionality, managing vendor relationships, customizing usage reports and tailoring products to meet business needs.
• Working with Research Services Manager, develop attorney training and outreach programs that enhance the Firm’s practice and promote utilization of Research resources.
• Working with Research Services leadership, develop and maintain reporting regimen for all facets of the Research function using EOS, Research Monitor, Service-Now, and other data collection tools as needed.
Oversight of Physical Collection Management and Coordination
• Provide oversight and guidance regarding physical library collections in all offices. Ensure consistency and efficiency in managing physical collections while actively promoting electronic access in order to
reduce print whenever appropriate.
• Use project management skills to lead projects which promote the use of technology to more efficiently manage and deliver research services.
• Interface with IT, KM, and other departments to implement and maintain electronic resources and library workflow automation tools such as Service-Now.
• Create and distribute content via SharePoint portal and other methods to promote research services to attorneys and timekeepers.
• Design and implement tools and strategies that educate and advise attorneys, paralegals, and staff on sources and strategies for research.
• Provide assistance in print and digital collection development and maintenance and physical library space utilization.
• Participate on projects that increase the value of library services to the Firm.
• As part of a firmwide research team, provide substantive research expertise to support the firm’s practice areas and business development efforts, including strategic research related to markets, industries,
• Ensure that staff is knowledgeable and trained on professional and technical matters.Provide supportive coaching; set achievable, challenging team goals; develop skills of team members to ensure achievement
of client service priorities.Ensure team is structured effectively to meet client service objectives.
• Promote consistency and fairness; maintain open door policy and facilitate open dialog.Ensure Firm policies and practices are followed within team.Prepare timely, substantive, and strategically aligned
performance evaluations.Identify and timely address employee relations and performance concerns within team; collaborate with Human Resources and management to support effective and appropriate resolution.
Participate in recruiting for department, including drafting position descriptions.
• Master’s degree in Library Science or Information Science plus a minimum of three years related experience, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
• Project management skills and experience working in library operations or technical services roles.
• Substantive knowledge of the legal materials and databases used to support the Firm’s practice areas and research needs for client work and for business development efforts.